Home Page Back Ground History Mining Regions The Postcards The Tokens Links Bibliography Acknowledgements Site Forum Cards & Tokens Classified Ads. Guest Book Updates & News Contact The Site
Location: South-western Transvaal (View location on map)
Minerals Worked: Diamonds (alluvial)
Principal Mines: Various diggings in and around Bloemhof
This town on the Vaal River was laid out on the farm Klipfontein in 1864. The farm together with the beginnings of the village was sold to John Barclay who it seems was so impressed by his daughter’s flower garden that he changed the name of the town from Klipfontein to Bloemhof. Diamond fever gave the growth of the town a quick boost and digging rights on unoccupied residential stands were authorised in 1891. Today the Bloemhof diggings are all but abandoned.
Postcard issues relating to this area include the following;
|"Thumbnail" Images (Note 1)||Card Title or Description||Card Ref. No.|
|Diamond Diggings -||PC102|
1) For further information and enlarged views of each postcard click on any one of the above images.
Back To Transvaal Issuing Location Lists